JASC Rikai / 理解 Scholarship
This application is now closed.
The staff and Board of Directors of Japan American Society of Colorado recognize the great value in a quality study abroad experience. Through this scholarship, we hope to make this experience a reality for one Colorado university student per year. The word "rikai" or 理解 means understanding. It is through personal connections that we can truly understand one another.
Applicants must be:
- permanent residents of the State of Colorado
- currently attending a degree granting, accredited university in the State of Colorado
- enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- accepted into a university-supported exchange program in Japan OR a qualified third-party partner program that can be verified by your home university for the Fall 2018, Spring 2019 semester or full 2018-19 academic year; the study abroad program must be for one academic quarter, semester or year
In 2018-19, JASC will grant $3000 to one qualified applicant. The scholarship amount will be re-evaluated on an annual basis by the JASC Finance Committee, therefore the amount may change from year to year.
The scholarship recipient may use the scholarship for travel and living expenses related to a University sponsored study abroad program.
May 30, 2018 for any study abroad program to take place during the 2018-19 academic year; any applications received after midnight (Mountain Time) will not be considered.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to fill out the "Basic Information Form" below AND submit the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line "2018 JASC Rikai Scholarship"
- Essay (see below)
- Short answers (see below)
- Letter of support from a faculty advisor, university counselor, study abroad officer or other appropriate university employee
- Proof of acceptance into a study abroad program for Fall 2018, Spring 2019 or 2018-19 academic year
- Approximate/ Estimated budget for your travel abroad program and if applicable, include a statement of financial need (not required for eligibility)
Essay: Use the below quote as inspiration to talk about your decision to study abroad in Japan. What do you hope to bring back from your experience? Your answer is limited to 2 single-sided pages, 11pt font, double spaced.
"It's not just about whether you can compete with your peers in other countries to make America stronger. It's also about whether you can come together and work together with them to make our world stronger. It's about the friendships you make, the bonds of trust you establish and the image of America that you project to the rest of the world." -Michelle Obama
Short Answers: Please provide answers to the following questions. (Maximum 250 words each.)
- What will you study in Japan and why?
- What will this scholarship allow you to do in Japan that you might not otherwise be able to do?
- What other sources of funding do you have or expect to have for this experience?
- May 30, 2018- Application deadline; all documents must be received by midnight
- June 30, 2018- Notification of successful scholarship recipient
- July 30, 2018- Acceptance of Scholarship form must be returned to JASC (email attachment is acceptable). Funds will be disbursed through our partner organization, ConnectED Colorado (on behalf of the student) upon JASC's receipt of the Acceptance of Scholarship form.
Additional Responsibilities of the Scholarship Recipient- The scholarship recipient is asked to hand-write a thank you note to the Board of Directors of the Japan America Society of Colorado upon accepting the scholarship. At the conclusion of their study abroad experience in Japan, the scholarship recipient is asked to provide a 2-5 minute video highlighting their experience in Japan. The scholarship recipient will also be asked to attend, in person, one JASC Board of Directors meeting or Executive Committee meeting to talk about their experience abroad in Japan. (These meetings take place in downtown Denver. Skype will be considered if distance is a significant factor.)
Consider Joining JASC- JASC has a student member rate. If you are interested in joining this community and taking advantage of the many opportunities we provide to connect you to Japan in the areas of business, education and culture, please join! Membership information is available here. Membership is not required for scholarship consideration.
DISCLAIMERJASC will not be responsible for any late, lost or incomplete applications or any printing or typographical errors in the materials associated with the competition. By entering the competition for the scholarship, the applicant releases JASC, its Board of Directors and staff, from any liability whatsoever, and waives any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of and in connection with the competition, the failure of the applicant to receive a scholarship, the awarding of the scholarship, and the use of the scholarship including but not limited to travel, lodging, studies and living in Japan. Applicant assumes the risks inherent in travel, living and studying outside the United States.